Bogolyubovo is an urban-type settlement in Suzdalsky District, Vladimir Oblast, Russia, located about 10 kilometers northeast of Vladimir. Bogolyubovo was the residence of Prince Andrei Bogolyubsky.
It was built between 1158 and 1165 by the order of Andrei Bogolyubsky at the mouth of the Nerl River (which flows into the Klyazma River). Grand Prince Andrei spent 17 years of his reign in Bogolyubovo before being murdered there in 1174.
Russian Orthodox Christians believe Bogolyubovo was founded in the place where Andrei Bogolyubsky saw a miraculous vision of the Mother of God (meaning “God-bearer”, the Virgin Mary). The Virgin appeared to him in a dream vision with a scroll in his right hand, and ordered him to build a church and a monastery in the place of vision. At that point, the Church of the Intercession on the Nerl was built. It is on the World Heritage List of UNESCO since 1992.