The oldest monastery in Moscow was founded in 1282 by St. Blgv. Prince Daniil of Moscow, the first temple was dedicated to St. Daniel Stolpnik. In 1330, Grand Duke John Kalita transferred the brothers of the monastery to the Kremlin; and the old buildings of the Danilov monastery gradually became desolation. In 1560, the monastery was renovated by Tsar Ivan the Terrible. In 1561, St. Macario, Metropolitan of Moscow, consecrated the first stone church on behalf of the Holy Fathers of the Seven Ecumenical Councils (the first church with such consecration in the Ecumenical Church), in 1652 the relics of St. Blgv. Prince daniel
On the second floor. 17th century The monastery was surrounded by stone walls with eight towers, the old cathedral was demolished after the ruin and a new two-story church was built in its place. Heavily rebuilt in 1729, it has survived to this day. In 1752, a tower with a church of San Pr. It was built on its western porch. Daniel Stolpnik
In the nineteenth-twentieth centuries. In the monastery there was a charity house for the elderly clergy and the widows of the clergy, one of the oldest cemeteries in Moscow was located in the territory of the monastery. Here many Church hierarchies, as well as figures of Russian culture like A.S., found their last resting place. Khomyakov, N.V. Gogol, N. Yazykov, Yu.F. Samarin, V.G. Perov, N.G. Rubinstein and others.
On the right bank of the Moscow river, a short distance from the Tulskaya metro station, is the impressive Danilov Monastery.
It was founded in 1282 by the Prince of Moscow Danila Alexandrovich, the pious son of Alexander Nevsky. The name of the church comes from the name of its patron, the holy pillar of Daniel. Nine years after the foundation, the temple was almost completely demolished during the Tartar attack. The monastery found its ancient greatness during the reign of Ivan the Terrible. He ordered the construction of towers and stone walls, which became a significant barrier for enemies. But in 1610 the temple was again damaged by artillery bombardment by False Dmitry II.
The humble abode was not spared from the war of 1812. Then, the Danilov Monastery was not destroyed, but was looted, and in the desert territory they organized warehouses and slaughter for cattle. During the difficult Russian-Turkish war, a hospital was equipped here. But, in spite of all these problems, the sacred place was rebuilt every time, and under the vaults of the church, the prayers began to ring again to send peace and prosperity to the Russian soil.
After the revolution, the priests lived in the monastery of Danilov among exiles, who did not abandon their faith in favor of the new authorities. In 1930, the monastery was completely closed and the NKVD insulator was placed in its territory. Later, the temple passed from one institution to another. In 1982, shortly before his death, Brezhnev signed a historic decree on the transfer of the church to the clergy. Ambitious restoration work was carried out, and in 1988 the celebration of the millennium of the Baptism of Rus took place here. Now in the monastery is the residence of the Patriarch of Moscow and all of Russia.
In the Danilov monastery there is an ancient necropolis. In this venerated cemetery, the ashes of the representatives of the Russian aristocracy and the prominent figures of Russian history are buried or buried again. These are entire dynasties of Volkonsky, Vyazemsky, Golitsyn, Goncharov, Meshchersky, as well as individuals: the writer Gogol and the poet of Languages, Slavophile Samarin and the scientist Venelin, the artist Perov and the local historian Havsky. Many names that left a deep mark on the history of our country can be read in tombstones.
Every year, on the last Sunday of September, in the old bell tower of the Danilov monastery, the festival of Russian bells begins. The most skilled leaders of Russia participate in it. The magical bells that cleanse the soul that extend in this sacred place leave an unforgettable sensation, tears of joy reach the eyes of many listeners.
There is an unusual sanctuary in the temple: the shoe of San Spyridon de Trimifuna. He rests under the icon of this righteous man. This is the only material thing that has been preserved from a righteous elder.
The territory of the monastery is well maintained, all the buildings are of high quality restoration and are kept in perfect order. They are of great historical and architectural value. Walking here is a pleasure, such walks relieve all stress and improve mood.
Formally, the monastery was closed in 1918, but monastic life in the monastery continued until 1930. From 1917 to 1930, the rector of the Danilov monastery was Bishop Theodore (Pozdeevsky), around which laymen and clerics who did not accept No innovation in the life of the church. After the closure in 1931 and until 1983, the monastery housed a colony for juvenile delinquents.
In May 1983, the monastery was returned to the Church; In five years it was rebuilt, two new churches were built, as well as a epaulet and a memorial chapel. In 1988, the monastery was one of the centers that celebrated the 1000th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia.
The houses of the monastery: the Patriarchal Residence and synodal, the Department of External Relations of the Church, the Danilovsky hotel complex was built next to the monastery.
Temples and Chapels
Church of the Holy Fathers of the Seven Ecumenical Councils. The thrones of the upper church – Saint Fathers of the Seven Ecumenical Councils, chapels – st. blgv. Prince Daniel of Moscow and St. Princes Boris and Gleb; the throne of the lower temple: the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the prophet Daniel; on the western porch – prp. Daniel Stolpnik;
Holy Trinity Cathedral. The throne in honor of the Holy Trinity, side chapels – Conception of rights. Anne, St. Alexy, a man of God, in the basement: the Nativity of John the Baptist (1833-1838, architect O.I. Beauvais);
Temple of San Puerta Simeon Stolpnik, in the bell tower (late 17th century. Restored in 1984-1988);
Temple of Saint Seraphim of Sarovsky in the basement of the hospital building (since the late 19th century – a chapel, since 1988 – a temple);
the church of All Saints, which shone on the Russian land, in the synodal residence of His Holiness the Patriarch (1988);
shchmch temple. Kiev Vladimir and the new martyrs and confessors of Russia met;
cantilever chapel (1988, architect Yu.G. Alonov);
Memorial chapel (1988, architect Yu.G. Alonov).
Cancer with a particle of relics of San blgv. Prince Daniel Icon of St. blgv. Prince Daniel with a particle of his relics; Ark with a particle of relics Nicholas the Wonderworker; Vladimir Icon of the Mother of God “with an acatico” (16th century); Cancer with the relics of St. George (Lavrov), confessor of Danilovsky; prp icon Seraphim of Sarovsky with a particle of his relics, part of his mantle and rosary.
Danilov Monastery – Moscow, ul. Danilovsky Val, 22