The Ascension Monastery was founded in 1690 by the bishop of Tambov and Kozlovski, St. Pitirim, which is considered to be one of the most beautiful mansions in the diocese of Tambov. The monastery is located on the northern outskirts of the city at the mouth of Alexander Hawrushka Studentsov and the rivers, and his first abbess was the sister of Bishop Pitirim, Catherine.
The fate of the rich monastery was burning, and was then rebuilt, where it maintained its fertile icon within its walls, and was closed for a long period during Soviet power, which revived in the 20th century. But everything began peacefully and as in many other Russian monasteries, the poor were gradually expanded and rebuilt for several centuries. Initially, in its territory 18 cells of the nuns have been built, this was a simple hut of wood, there was not even church or clergy.
The monastery received full-time status on the reform of Catherine II in 1764, since the sum of the contents did not reach 375 rubles.
The first stone church of the Ascension of the Lord was established a hundred years later, those of the monastery in 1791. In 1816 was laid the first stone of the second church of the monastery. It was truly glorious days when they arrived at the monastery in the first half of the 19th century, where the nun Miropiya (Adenkova in the world) settled. It is from its name that it is associated with the exaltation of the miraculous Vyshenskii (Kazan) of the icon of the Virgin.
Nun Miropiya (Maria Ivanovna) Noble of Moscow, was born in 1766, when the parents were given in marriage with the noble Adenkova, who blessed the generic icon of Kazan, the Mother of God. Unfortunately, the life of the family of Maria Ivanovna was short, her husband died shortly, and the rich widow decided to retire to the monastery of Moscow Zachateisk Alexeyev. So she lived there, not knowing the dwelling of the glory of Tambov, which, if it was not for World War II in 1812, due to the arrival of Napoleon, all the sisters left the monastery, so they met in the route.
Taking the longest road there is a treasured icon of Kazan’s Mother of God, which was found by a coachman and almost became his victim. He planned to rob the nun, but turned from the heart was converted with a prayer for the Queen of Heaven to hear the voice, “Fear not, I am your protector.” At the same instant the coachman lost his sight, confessed between tears and asked Mary Ivanovna to pray for his healing. Of course, he felt sorry for the coachman, and after a brief prayer before the icon of the Virgin of the sight took it to the convent.
The first stone church of the Ascension of the Lord was built one hundred years after founding the monastery in 1791
She took the veil under the name Miropiya, for 14 years lived a nun in a simple wooden cell, which is in the front corner of the lamp burned in front of the icon of the Mother of God of Kazan. Before his death, he thought of transferring the icon to the monastery church, which was the Virgin and was ordered to deliver the icon to Shatskaia Vyshenskii, in the desert, which was done by the Sisters of the Ascension Monastery. The fertile icon of Vyshenskii (Kazan) and the icon of the Virgin of today are there, illuminating the path for those who suffer, bringing relief and rest to all who come to pay homage to the prayer of the heart.
But returning to the monastery Voznesenka, by the end of the 19th century and at the beginning of the 20th century was characterized by the blossoming of time. In the monastery there were choirs and riznaya, a shelter for the orphan girls (Olginskaya school), as well as a building for the cooking of the holy bread, the carriage house and stables, barn and many other dependencies. The novices are not sitting idle: they weave cloth and canvas, black cloth for suits and cassocks, as well as the Miter that is produced for embroidery in gold and silver.
After the revolution of December 1918, the monastery fell in difficult times, began to deteriorate and disintegrate it, then was closed, although it gave the council “for use in cultural and educational purposes.” In the 90’s of the century 20, the monastery was returned to the believers, was rebuilt little by little, cleared, put in order and even broke the flower beds. Today, the Ascension Monastery is once again full of life, and it enjoys all the pilgrims with warmth and special love.