Pushkin Museum – Moscow, ul. Little Wolf 12
The Pushkin Museum (officially called Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts) is one of the largest collections of rare paintings, sculptures, drawings and archeological objects in the world. The collections of the Pushkin Museum are considered invaluable cultural, historical and artistic heritage.
In the funds of the Pushkin Museum. Pushkin has more than 700 thousand exhibits; Only 1.5% of the total collection is displayed in the halls. The museum complex includes several buildings in the center of the capital: the main building, the art gallery of Europe and America of the 19th and 20th centuries. , S. Richter Museum-Apartment, Department of Private Collections and Museum Museum.
Most of the exhibits are in the Main Building, built by architects R. Klein and I. Rerberg in the early 19th century. A large house with a majestic colonnade and a glass roof is listed as an architectural monument of national importance.
At the source of the Pushkin Museum was the famous Russian archaeologist, scientist and teacher I.V. Tsvetaev In 1893, he turned to the Moscow authorities with a proposal to create a public museum based on the collection of the Cabinet of Antiquities of the University of Moscow. Tsvetaev proposed to create exhibitions that reflect key stages in art formation from ancient times to the present. The museum opened in May 1912, Ivan Vladimirovich became its first director.
The base of the collections were replicas of ancient statues and real artifacts acquired by the administration of the institution of Egyptologist V. Golenishchev. The museum’s funds were gradually replenished: many paintings were donated by philanthropists, purchased at auctions and came from other collections. After the revolution, the warehouse is replenished due to the values confiscated from the representatives of the aristocracy.
Today, the Pushkin Museum is a world-class cultural center, which hosts scientific conferences, debates, exhibitions, classical and organ music concerts, presentations, creative meetings, film shows, master classes, missions.
The museum carries out a great scientific work, equips archaeological expeditions, collaborates with specialized educational institutions and is dedicated to teaching children.
All the exhibitions in the “Painting” room are distributed by the dates of the creation of a particular canvas, as well as in relation to an art school or address. The first exhibitions date back to the Byzantine period of European art. These are mainly icon painting works.
The primitive painting of Western Europe is represented by a unique collection of Italian artists who belong to the direction of the so-called “primitives”.
In 1948, the Pushkin Museum received a collection of the Museum of the New Western Art dissolved, which included canvases of prominent French painters of the 19th and 20th centuries.
In the Painting room, visitors will see original paintings by P. Gauguin, M. Pepein, O. Vernet, P. Elle, D. Pittoni, G. Kraus, L. Giordano, V. Vershure, J. de Trois and many others.
Among the masterpieces stored in the Pushkin Museum: “Lady at the Window” by A. Toulouse-Lautrec, “Hercules and Omfala” by F. Boucher, “Red Vineyards in Arles” and “Prisoners’ Walk” by Vincent Van Gogh, “Capuchin Boulevard in Paris” and “Breakfast in the grass” by Claude Monet, “Pierrot and Harlequin” by Paul Cezanne and others.
A special place in the exhibition is occupied by Pablo Picasso’s collection of paintings: these are eleven paintings, including the famous painting “Girl on the Ball”, which became the artist’s business card.
The Pushkin Museum houses one of the richest graphic collections in the world, which includes 20 thousand engravings belonging to Tsar Alexander II, Japanese prints from the personal collection of S. Kitaev, Rembrandt’s works from the N. Mosolov collection, Russian prints belonging to D. Rovinsky and etc.
The museum stores more than 380 thousand prints and drawings. The exhibition presents the most famous works of great masters: Rubens, Matisse, Picasso, Durer, Callot, Renoir and many others.
The pride of the museum is a collection of graphics by Salvador Dali from the Fausto series, Hippies, Surreal Tavromahiya, Mythology.
The collection of sculptures of the Pushkin Museum includes works by prominent Western European masters: Clodion, Rodin, Lemoine, Mayol, Bourdelle; 16th century wooden statues. samples of ancient Egyptian, Greek and Roman ancient sculptures; sculptures of modern national and foreign authors.
The permanent exhibition includes two courtyards: Greek and Italian. These are spacious rooms in which exact molds of the most famous statues of the ancient Hellas and the Roman Empire are placed. The Greek courtyard is similar to the Acropolis of Athens, here life-size Parthenon columns are installed, copies of the famous sculptures of Phidias: “Athena Parthenos”, “Zeus”, “Wounded Amazon”, “Nika”, etc.
Statue “Discus Ball” of the Museum of Fine Arts that bears the name of Pushkin
The Italian courtyard is an exact copy of one of the levels of the Florentine palace of Bargello. It attracts attention with equestrian statues: a copy of the Gattamelate monument by Donatello and the sculpture by condottier Colleoni de Verroccu. Here you can see the exact cast of the Freiberg portal, a copy of the St. Zebald crab, bronze statues of medieval knights.
At the entrance to the Italian courtyard, visitors are welcomed by the most famous cast of the museum, their business card is an exact copy of the statue of David by Michelangelo.
From the Italian and Greek courtyards, visitors enter the hall of ancient Egypt. Here archaeological oddities, original sculptures and sarcophagi are presented. The Pushkin Museum collection is considered the best collection of ancient Egyptian art in Russia. Visitors will see the sarcophagus and mummy of the priest Khor Ha, the golden sarcophagus of Mahu, the statues of Amenhotep and his wife, Queen Rannai, relief of Isi’s treasure and other valuable relics of world culture.
A particularly valuable display is the statue of Pharaoh Amenemkhet III era of the Middle Kingdom (1853 BC). Countless books and monographs are dedicated to this unique work of art. Scientists and tourists from all over the world come to see the statue.
The famous “Gold of Troy” is stored in the art room of the Old East – artifacts found by Heinrich Schliemann in the city of Troy, which has long been considered Homer’s invention. These are gold jewelry, plates, helmets, figurines.
The Antique Hall contains genuine works of ancient Greek and Roman art: bas-reliefs, sarcophagi, vases, busts, paintings, books and much more.