The Vorontsov House is one of the main attractions of Simferopol. The building is also called the Salgir House because there is an architectural monument in the park, which is called Salgirka, at least in the Vorontsov park. It is the oldest park in the city, which was founded in the 19th century.
The building was constructed between 1826-1827 in Narishkin for Governor General. In 1834, the widow of the governor sold the house Novorossiysk of the governor Vorontsov.
The Vorontsov House is famous for the fact that the royal family stayed here. Together with the real characters in the summer residence to guide the future of the poet Alexander II Konstantin Zhukovsky.
Nicolas I called this home, Salgir “Little Palace”. The official residence is intended for the members of the royalty of Prince Vorontsov, which is always contained in perfect order. Here were often members of noble families, including Grand Duchess Elena Pavlovna.
The House of Vorontsov seems very simple, it was built with a strict classical style. The facade is decorated with columns, has an outside terrace that descends towards the park. The service rooms are in a family house on the ground floor, above the residential and the cabins.
The independent kitchen was made in the Turkish style that in those days was fashionable. The building has the Bahchisaraj Fountain, adorned with tiles on the ceiling with small towers and fireplaces.
The staircase of the House of Vorontsov is decorated with figures of lions sitting made of marble. They appeared in the Vorontsov House in the mid-forties of the last century. The Germans being withdrawn took such decoration, along with a part of the interior finishes of the legacy of the former nobility.
The House of Vorontsov today is not the original, but a faithful reconstruction of the first. The restoration of monuments has been exposed several times, only after World War II, in the 80’s and 90’s of last century.
The first reconstruction was intentionally treated as an architectural monument; Casa Salgir has changed a lot. In the 80s, the Vorontsov House was recreated by the restorers of works, but shortly after a serious fire destroyed it. A few years later, the building was abandoned and dilapidated. Finally, in the middle of the 90’s, the house of the 20th century of Vorontsov was returned as an architectural monument. Now the situation is more than reminiscent of that building, as it was in the 19th century. The painting of the walls are restored and in the corridors there are sculptures and paintings.
Salgir house is closely linked to the culture of gardening in Simferopol. Even before the revolution, the pomological station was organized, which became the center of the fight against garden pests. Even in Soviet times, the Vorontsov House served as the regional plant protection station and was run by the Crimean Agrarian University. After the last restoration, the scientific workers are working again in this place.
Finding the Salgir House is easy. It is necessary to reach the Vorontsov park and go deep into the green area by a cobbled road that goes up to the end.
Address: Simferopol, ul. Yalta, 2.