This is a church still functional by the Russian Orthodox Church. Inside the Church there are impressive mosaics that form one of the most important collections of mosaics throughout the Old Continent. If you are going to visit Russia, you definitely cannot miss this imposing cathedral.
This Church is, in its design, very similar to St. Basil’s Cathedral in Moscow; It is said that the designer of this Church of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ could have been inspired by the most important Church in Russia for its design.
Built by order of Alexander II, in the place where his father was killed; in a bomb attack by a member of the “People’s Will” organization. The father of Alexander III, Tsar Alexander II; It was undoubtedly the most democratic and human czar of all Russian czars.
The Church of the Spilled Blood, as it is popularly known by the Russians, was finished in the 20th century; but it was built imitating churches of the XVI-XVII century; what makes it stand out in a city where the Neoclassical and Baroque predominates.
Without a doubt one of the most outstanding attractions of St. Petersburg, not only for its spectacular exterior but also for its wonderful interior and the history behind this church.
monument frame built in 1883-1907. architect A. A. Parland (with the participation of archimandrite Ignacio (Malyshev)) at the expense of the treasure and for private donations at the site of the deadly wound of Emperor Alexander II, hence the popular name “Savior on Blood”. The temple of nine domes, with capacity for 1,600 people, is executed in the forms of the architecture of Moscow of the XVI-XVII centuries, it is distinguished by a complex pictorial silhouette, rich mosaic decoration. The mosaics are executed in the A.A. and V.A. Frolov in sketches is thin. V.M. Vasnetsova, M.V. Nesterova, N.A. Kosheleva, V.V. Belyaev, N.E. Kharlamova, A.P. Ryabushkina et al.
The marble iconostasis is made in J. Novi’s workshop in Genoa, the mosaic images are drawn according to the drawing of V.M. Vasnetsova The canopy over the wound site is made of jasper in the cool laptops of Yekaterinburg and Peterhof, and the silver utensils were supplied by Khlebnikov’s company. Outside, memorial plaques were fortified on the walls that reported on the “great reforms” of the years 1860-1870. On the east side there is a wrought iron fence, on the north side is the sacristy chapel of St. Alexander Nevsky.
In 1923, the temple received the status of cathedral, in 1930 it was closed, in 1934-1935. it housed an exhibition dedicated to the “Narodnaya Volya” party, then the building was used for household needs, in 1970 it was transferred to the “St. Isaac’s Cathedral” Museum. In the years 1973-1998. Restoration completed. Now the temple is open as a museum.
Church architecture of St. Petersburg
St. Nicholas Cathedral
In 1722, a magnificent iconostasis was installed in the Cathedral of Peter and Paul, made under the direction of the prominent Moscow architect and sculptor I.P. Zarudny The iconostasis image was written by Andrey Matveev and Mikhail Zakharov. In 1725, Peter the Great himself was buried in the cathedral, which continued to serve as a royal tomb.
Among the many architects who worked with Peter in the capital, teachers who came from other countries predominated: Italy – D. Trezzini, Giovanni-M. Fontana, France – J.-B. Leblon, Germany – G. Schedel, A. Schlüter and others. A characteristic feature of the architectural monuments of Pedro’s era was its relative simplicity, utilitarianism, efficiency, modesty in decoration.
Alexander Nevsky Lavra. Trinity Cathedral
Petersburg began to establish itself quickly, especially after the victory of Poltava, when the czar finally became convinced of the security of his creation. In memory of this victory, the wooden Sampson Church, rebuilt in 1740, was placed in a stone cathedral.
A year later, Peter laid the foundations of the Alexander Nevsky Monastery, erecting a cross at the place of the victory of the Holy Prince over the Swedes. In 1715, according to a large-scale project by architect D. Trezzini, the construction of a brick monastery complex began. On August 30, 1724, the sacred relics of Prince Right Alexander Nevsky, who arrived by water from Vladimir, were solemnly transferred to the monastery by Peter I. The two-story monastery buildings, led by ledges on the sides of the monumental cathedral They were facing the Neva River and the garden on the banks of the river. Symmetrical service buildings frame the courtyard of the monastery. In the center of the complex is the great Trinity Cathedral. His place was already determined in the Trezzini project, although the author of the first building was not him, but the architect T. Schwertfeger. When the building was almost ready, the cracks crossed the arches and the temple was dismantled. Only in 1775 a new project of the Trinity Cathedral was approved by the architect I.E. Starov On August 30, 1790, the Trinity Cathedral was solemnly consecrated in the presence of Empress Catherine II and the Knights of the Order of St. Alexander Nevsky.
The Cathedral of Prince Vladimir.
By their appearance, the early temples of St. Petersburg were completely different from those of Moscow: single-domed basilicas with a bell tower over the entrance crowned with a thin needle prevailed. Icon painters in the capital were supplanted by a painter who no longer created an image, but religious paintings that demonstrated the skill and mastery of the teacher, and not his personal piety and loyalty to the canons. Residents of different countries in Europe flocked to St. Petersburg to earn money.
And yet, Petersburg was originally the capital of the orthodox state. In court, mercy became less, but among the people it remained unshakable. That is why in St. Petersburg with its 52 thousand people there were 45 churches.
Elizabeth Petrovna’s reign was very favorable for orthodoxy. The pious empress kept fasting, loved the clergy, read moving books, songs in the church and good preachers. The diocese of St. Petersburg was separated from that of Novgorod, and its head was Bishop Nicodemus of St. Petersburg and Shlisselburg.
Visit the Church of the Resurrection in Petersburg
If you wish to meet her during her visit to St. Petersburg, do not hesitate to request a tour in GuiaRus, such as the full day tour, which includes a guided tour in Spanish to the Church of the Spilled Blood.
Tour in the Church of the Resurrection only with GuiaRus will have the best experience.