The Holy Trinity Cathedral of Yekaterinburg
The history of the creation of the Church of the Holy Trinity (Ryazanov) has its roots in the distant past. It turned out to be connected to the Riazanov family of merchants for many years, who played a leading role in both commercial and industrial affairs and public affairs.
The ancestor of the Yekaterinburg branch of this type was the merchant Mercury Stepanovich Ryazanov (1741-1814), dedicated to a variety of commercial and industrial operations and social activities. His descendants, son – Yakim (Ioakim) Merkuryevich (1774-1849) and grandson of Anik (Ioannikiy) Terentyevich (1800 – 1857), became famous as prominent businessmen and builders of the Holy Trinity Church (Ryazanovskaya).
The one faith church of the Holy Trinity (Ryazanov) was founded in 1814. The author of the project was the famous architect M.P. Malakhov By 1824, thanks to the efforts of Yakim Merkuryevich and his associates, an important part was already built.
For a long time, Yakim Merkuryevich Ryazanov and the Old Believers of Yekaterinburg did not dare to choose between the new and the old faith. In June 1838, Ryazanov took an important step and agreed to move from the Old Believers to one faith. In 1839, with the permission of the authorities, the consecration of the lateral chapel of the south of Ioanno-Zlatoust took place, the priest Paramon Lebedev, who converted to the unique faith, and the church of the single faith began to function.
As the number of parishioners increased, the need arose for the expansion of the Church of St. John Chrysostom. With the financial support of the nephew Ya.M. Ryazanov – Anika Terentyevich and other merchants, in 1849 the Nikolsky chapel was built, and construction of the main church in honor of the Holy Trinity that gives life began. The consecration of the main temple took place in 1852, and the bell tower was added in 1854. Therefore, in the mid-1850s, the church acquired its finished appearance, having received the official name of the Holy Trinity. It was the second largest of the eight cult buildings built in the 19th century in classicist style. Its length, including the bell tower, was 58.7 m (27.5 fathoms), the largest width was 18.1 m (8.5 fathoms) and the height to the top of the ledge was 11.7 m (5.5 fathoms). The bell tower was three levels high to the top of the cornice of 37.3 m (17.5 fathoms).
At the end of 19 – beginning. 20th century The composition of the parishioners of the Church of the Holy Trinity has changed. The last names of the representatives of the former merchant families (the Ryazanovs, Kazantsevs, etc.) began to find themselves less and less. They were replaced by representatives of a new business wave, mainly of merchants and flour mills: the Borchaninovs, Bragin, Malinovtsevs, Pervushins. But most of the parishioners were merchants and peasants. According to data from 1899, the number of permanent parishioners was 1945 people.
On October 27, 1899, a century of consensus was widely celebrated throughout Russia. In St. Petersburg, the Metropolitan Anthony celebrated the Divine Liturgy in a church of one faith; In Moscow, the Metropolitan Sergio held a memorial service for the first fighters for the monacato, the clergy and the benefactors. In Yekaterinburg, the co-religionists asked His Grace to celebrate the Divine Liturgy in the Church of the Holy Trinity according to the former “Official”, as well as the blessings to organize a parish school in the church. For the first time, the co-religionists of Yekaterinburg, so far separated from the Orthodox archpastors, wished to see the bishop in their church. The first Divine Liturgy in the Church of the Holy Trinity was served by Bishop Irenaeus (Horde) on May 13, 1901, blessing “with the addition of two sheets of each parishioner separately.”
After the October coup during the days of persecution by the atheist authorities, the parish of the Holy Trinity Church (Ryazanov) was forced to conclude an agreement with the Council of Deputies of Workers and Peasants of Yekaterinburg on the use Free church building and liturgical items according to a certified inventory.
April 5 of the same year, the city commission for the closing of churches. He decided: “To consider it appropriate to transfer the church to the Avtodor club to complete its retrofitting in 10 days.” Soon the movie “Rot Front” appeared in the city, the workers’ request was completely satisfied. During the years of World War II, the cinema was closed; The equipment of a fabric factory and workshops to make coats were placed in the battered church. For the temple, it was the most difficult period, it was then that it was finally destroyed both outside and inside, and then for a long time remained in desolation. Only in the seventies began its long reconstruction under the Palace of Culture for the same Avtodor.
On August 31, 1994, His Bishop Grace Nikon sent a petition addressed to A. Strakhov, the head of the administration of the Sverdlovsk Region. with a request for the return of the diocese of Yekaterinburg from the building of the Church of the Holy Trinity (Ryazanov).
By the grace of God, on February 13, 1995, after 65 years, a decree No. 142 of the Sverdlovsk Regional State Property Administration Committee “On the transfer of a building located in Yekaterinburg, ul. R. Luxembourg, 57, to the balance of the Scientific and Practical Center for the Protection and Use of Historical and Cultural Monuments of the Sverdlovsk Region, and then, after the conclusion of the relevant agreements, to the free use of the Diocese of Yekaterinburg. “
It took almost a year of negotiations and heavy approvals.
On May 6, 1996, His Bishop Bishop Nikon blessed to celebrate the Church of the Holy Trinity (Ryazanov) on May 31, 1996, a procession of the Church of the Ascension of the Lord to the Church of the Holy Trinity (Riazanov). The first service was carried out in the presence of many priests and hundreds of believers. From this day on, daily services and work on the restoration of the returned temple began. During the restoration of the cathedral, the apostolic words were fulfilled “The power of God in weakness is fulfilled” (2 Cor. 12.9).
On September 24, 2000, His Holiness the Patriarch of Moscow Alexy II, with a large number of bishops and priests, and with a large gathering of believers, consecrated the church. By decree of His Patriarch Holiness No. 5691 of November 3, 2003, the state of the Holy Trinity Cathedral in Yekaterinburg, the main cathedral of the diocese of Yekaterinburg, was granted to the church.
Trinity Cathedral: the main cathedral church and the oldest surviving structures of the Trinity Monastery of the Goryamenovarevarovym mountain in Horowamen, erected by the monk Nikon in 1422-23. “In honor and praise,” the founder of the monastery, Rev. Sergio de Radonezh († 1392) on the site of the first nerov. The construction of the church was carried out with the help of the son of Grand Duke Dmitry Ivanovich Donskoy – Zvenigorod and Prince Galitsky Yuri Dmitrievich, the godson of St. Sergio. The place where the relics of the first igumen of the Trinity rest, is the most holy place of the monastery.