The Monastery of the Virgin Jiten
Visiting the Monastery of the Virgin Jiten is a great opportunity to see one of the most emblematic temples of Tver. If you are in the city you can visit some emblematic places, such as going to the spiritual center of the Upper Volga of Tver. Knowing the Monastery of the Virgin Jiten is ideal for you.
What to see in Russia if you have already visited big cities like Moscow, St. Petersburg and made the Golden Ring excursions ….
On the edge of Ostaszków, surrounded by the crystal clear waters of Lake Seliger; modestly the Monastery of the Virgin Jiten is retired, it is an idyllic and beautiful place at the same time; an ancient monument of architecture and the spiritual center of the Upper Volga of Tver. The fate of the monastery, like many other Russian Christian shrines; it was full of tears of sadness and happiness, events, happy and sad; but, after overcoming all obstacles, he revived and wrote his story. Today the Monastery of the Virgin Jiten has been restored; which unites the Orthodox and the surrounding villages, pilgrims and ordinary travelers; who are wandering in search of hope, faith and spiritual strength.
Visit the Monastery of the Virgin Jiten – history
According to legend, the holy abode Jiten was built on March 19, 1716, in order to reconcile the Trinity and the Church of the parishioners of the resurrection who could not share the miraculous image of Our Lady of Smolensk. He was believed to be the icon of the Ostaszków pattern and was always defended in difficult times. During the relaxation, a church was built on the Zhitnyaya Peninsula, which became an icon of the Virgin Mary.
Initially, it was a male monastery, the monks gathered here from many surrounding temples, where they built their houses to maintain services.
Over time, all the buildings of the wooden monastery were replaced by stone, a stone wall was built, created a necropolis (so far it has not been preserved).
For two centuries, the holy monastery was in the care of Ostaszków; until in 1920, with the arrival of Soviet power; The monastery was delivered to the needs of the dairy plant. Such transformations are reflected in the monument of architecture in a natural way; temple facilities were rebuilt under floors, warehouses and offices; most of the church’s icons and plaques were irretrievably lost.
The Ostashkovsky Zhitenny monastery is located near the city of Ostashkov on one of the islands of Lake Seliger, called Zhitenny. Until 1700, there were granaries for grain reserves on this island, gathered by the Office of the Patriarchal Court of residents of the adjacent island of Klichno, which subsequently founded the city of Ostashkov. The island is connected to the city by a bulk wall.
The foundations of the monastery were laid at the beginning of the 18th century, by decree of the Sovereign Emperor Peter on March 1, 1716.
The reason for the construction of the monastery was the rivalry between the parishioners of the Trinity churches and the Resurrection of the Ostashkov settlement due to the possession of the Miraculous Icon of Our Lady of Hodegetria of Smolensk. In ancient times, the icon was at the gates of the city wall and after a fire that occurred in 1711 and exterminated everything, it was found in the ashes completely unharmed. In the manuscript about Ostashkov, the icon is called the Miraculous Worker, attributed to his auspicious patronage of the city, especially in times of need. To eliminate the rivalry of the churches, a wooden beams church was built on the island of Zhitnoy, in which it was created as an icon of the temple of the Mother of God Odigitria.
The church had about five chapters covered with wooden scales, in the central chapter there is a golden iron cross, in the others, wooden, upholstered with tin. The church was headed by the widowed priest of the Church of the Resurrection Leonty Ivanov, to whom the monks of several monasteries began to come, began to build their cells and send Divine Services.
In June 1734, with the blessing of the Holy Synod, the construction of a stone church on behalf of the Blessed Theotokos Hodegetria Smolenskaya began with a warm limit in the name of the Three Saints: Basil the Great, Gregory the Theologian and John Chrysostom in the right side of the western entrance. The lower part of the temple is square, with a quadrangular ledge inclined for the Altar, the upper octagonal. Five chapters with golden iron crosses. The church was consecrated on December 16, 1743.
In 1751, a three-level stone bell tower was built on the western entrance of the church and a golden iron cross was placed.
In 1761, with the blessing of His Grace Athanasius, Bishop of Tver and Kashinsky, a warm chapel was established on the left in the name of St. Demetrius, Metropolitan of Rostov the Thaumaturgist, and consecrated on September 21, 1762.
On December 13, in 1878, the chapel was consecrated in the name of Monk Nil Stolobensky, the Miraculous Worker, located in front of the right chapel with the blessing of His Eminence Filofei, Archbishop of Tver and Kashinsky.
Around the monastery for 2 sazhens in 1760-61, a stone fence was built, covered with a tesa, with 4 towers covered with iron. Another stone church is above the holy doors, in the name of the holy apostles John the Evangelist and Andrew the first called. Built with the blessing of Bishop Gabriel, Bishop of Tver and Kashinsky, and consecrated in 1768. It has a chapter with a golden iron cross. He resumed in 1890 under Archbishop Savva. In 1920, the monastery was closed. Before the opening of the monastery, a dairy factory was located. According to the request of the Archbishop of Tver and Kashinsky Victor on July 17, 2002, the Holy Synod decided to open the Bogoroditsky life convent for women with the appointment of the abbot of the monastery, the nun Elizabeth (Evdokimova).
At present, the territory of the monastery has been landscaped, the door complex, the bishop’s building, two buildings and fraternal dependencies have been restored: a carpentry workshop, an apiary, a corral, an orchard, a bakery and a sewing workshop; The cultivation of flowers provides the townspeople with seeds and seedlings. On the dedicated island of Fomine, the territory is improving, it is planned to establish a garden.
Preparatory work is underway to restore the cathedral in honor of the Smolensk icon of the Mother of God. In summer and on vacation, the monastery receives many pilgrims from youth and children’s organizations for which the monastery hotel has been built. These days it becomes a center for children and young people, where creative nights, spiritual discussions take place.
The second life of the monastery began on June 17, 2002; the day it was presented in Bogoroditskoe Jiten as a female monastery, and immediately began extensive restoration work; That continues to this day.
Today, in the monastery he runs an integral school, a social center for children.
Useful information about the monastery of the Virgin Jiten
Address: Tver region, Ostaszków peninsula Zhitnyaya 3.
The monastery is located on the northern periphery of the city of Ostaszków Zhitnyaya on the peninsula that connects to the shore of the Seliger lake dam.
If you come to know the Monastery of the Virgin Jiten do not forget to contact us for more information.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/3″][vc_widget_sidebar sidebar_id=”siderbar-paginas”][/vc_column][/vc_row]