What to see in the Pereslavl Kremlin
What to see in Pereslavl during your stay here. Visiting the Kremlin of Pereslavl is an ideal opportunity to see the ancient city and at the same time the marvelous history.
Despite the modest size of the city, to inspect all the attractions of Pereslavl may not be enough throughout the weekend. You must start with the city center. The Kremlin, with its ringed ancient ground wall height of 12 meters with a width of 10 meters; where a small distance from each other make up the Transfiguration Cathedral of the Aleksandru Nevskomu monument; in front of him, the Church of Peter the Metropolitan; and the rest of the cathedral of the small Sretensky Boroditsky as the Monastery of St. Volodymyr and the church of Aleksandr Nevsky.
For comparison, the Moscow Kremlin has a perimeter of 850 m, which is three times smaller than that of Pereslavl-Zaleski. By the way, both buildings were presented by order of Yuriya Dolgorukogo.
Visit the Pereslavl Kremlin – history
In the 11th century on the north shore of the lake near Pleshcheeva mountain in Alexandrova, it was the ancient city Kleschin. From that moment, obviously, the lake got its name. Now, since Kleschina there were only trees.
In 1152 Yuri Dolgoruki built a fortress to the largest place east of the lake; and later called her Pereyaslavl-Russian from Pereyaslavl (now Pereyaslav-Khmelnitsky in the Kiev region of Ukraine); the capital of the principality of Preeyaslavskogo. The Kremlin was surrounded by walls with wooden walls; which, unfortunately, were not saved from damage: a couple of times they were destroyed by the Tatar-Mongols (between the 13th and 15th centuries), and the Lithuanians in 1608. In the year 1759 the wooden walls were completely in ruins and these were dismantled. Now the Kremlin only retains the walls.
Now the area of the area is planted with grass on its trails.
In its time the bell of the square and the chamber were with a variety of celebrations. In 1152 Yuri Dolgoruki began its construction of the Transfiguration Cathedral; which was completed by Andreem Bogolyubskim in 1157, where it is one of the oldest temples in Russia and has been preserved to this day.
Almost 900 years, the low cathedral due to its own weight has sunk about 90 cm.
On May 30, 1220 in the princely houses of those born, Alexander Nevsky was baptized in the Holy Transfiguration Cathedral, which is now a museum.
The Pereslavsky Kremlin (or Detinets) sometimes called Yuriya Dolgorukogo; It survives today in the form of an embankment ring, as the walls and towers were made of wood. But the axis of Pereslavl is one of the largest in Russia: its length is 2.5 km; its height of 18 m, which covers most of the center of the county. Along the axis, there is a park, and it extends along the ridge of the track, with excellent views. At the end of the axis is the Red Square.
The Kremlin has remained with a kind of set of temples, such as the Holy Cathedral of the Transfiguration; the Cathedral of the Vladimir Icon of the Mother of God and the Aleksandra Nevskogo church. Despite the fact that temples were built at different times; these were made in the same style and today they are the hallmark of all the Pereslavlskogo Kremlin.
What to see in the Pereslavl Kremlin with our expert guides for a pleasant experience, contact us for more information.
In the center of Pereslavl-Zalessky is the Pereslavl Kremlin. From the wooden fortress there were great walls up to 12 meters high, and inside there is a complex of temples of the 12th-19th century cathedral, the main one of which is now a museum exhibition.
The first settlement, which gave rise to Pereslavl, was located on the shore of Lake Pleshcheyev and was called Kleshchin or Kleshchino, either by the word “shine”, that is, “splash”, or by the abundance of sea bream found in the lake. There was a small town with a wooden fortress on the walls: from there the ancient settlements and the remains of these walls have been preserved.
But Prince Yuri Dolgoruky decided to put a new fortress here somewhere else, at the mouth of the river, and called it Pereyaslavl. Later, the name began to be pronounced as Pereslavl. That was 1152.
The fortress was standing on the island. On one side it was protected by a lake, on the other, the Trubezh and Murmazh rivers, and on the fourth side a deep pit was dug. The fortress was protected by huge walls. Wide wooden log cabins were placed, and already at the top they were covered with dirt. As a result, now the thickness of the axes in the foundations is about thirty meters, and the current height is up to twelve meters.
The wooden walls were double. Inside was a wooden palace of the prince. At the end of the 12th century, one of the most powerful ancient Russian wooden fortresses was built here, and it remained wooden throughout its history. Pereslavl was in the XII-XIII centuries. the third largest city and was surpassed only by Kiev and Smolensk.
The city was captured and burned several times. In 1238, he was devastated by Batu Khan’s troops, who had previously looted and burned Vladimir. At the end of the 13th century, Horde troops will send here their own call, Russians. The fact is that the sons of Alexander Nevsky began to fight for power: Prince Pereslavl, Dmitry Alexandrovich, fought with his brother Andrei Alexandrovich.
Both princes went to the Horde for the reigns of the reign, and both received the labels: in the Horde, too, at that time the disputes had begun and different khans supported different princes. As a result, in 1291 near Pereslavl there was a clash of the troops of Khan Mengu-Timur and Nogai.
The Kremlin walls were significantly updated and strengthened by Dmitry Donskoy. When the Lithuanians tried to capture the fortress in 1372, they couldn’t do it, but in 1382 Tokhtamysh could.
At the time of the problems in the early seventeenth century, the city was burned by the Poles, and then was recovered by the voivode M. Skopin-Shuisky. The last wooden walls were rebuilt in 1666. But Pereslavl was no longer subject to any attack, and fortifications were no longer necessary. In 1759, the ruined wooden Kremlin was dismantled, only the city walls remained.
What to see in Pereslavl and much more with GuiaRus!