The Tsar Canyon
The Moscow Kremlin has a lot of interesting places. However, most tourists mainly remember two historical monuments: Tsar Cannon and Tsar Bell.
The Tsar’s cannon was made by foundry master Andrei Chokhov by order of Tsar Fedor Ivanovich in 1586. Initially, the weapon was made for the defense of the Kremlin, so the weapon was installed in the Red Square near Lobny’s place. . Later it became a decoration of the territory, in the 1960s. He moved to Ivanovskaya Square, closer to the Cathedral of the Twelve Apostles.
- Moving the tsar’s canyon was very difficult. He was taken to the Red Square with the help of 200 horses.
What to see
The dimensions of the weapons are impressive: length: 5.34 m, weight: almost 40 tons. It is worth noting the beauty of the gun: it is decorated with reliefs and an image of Tsar Fedor Ivanovich riding a horse. Scientists do not yet know exactly why the instrument was given that name. Perhaps because the sovereign is represented in the canyon. However, most historians believe that this is due to the impressive size of the weapon.
- The Tsar’s canyon is considered the largest in the world due to its caliber. It is listed in the Guinness Book of Records.
Interestingly, the cast iron cores, which are now next to the canyon, were launched much later. They were made in St. Petersburg in 1835, each weighing approximately 2 tons, are made exclusively for decoration. By the way, throughout its history, the Tsar Canyon has never participated in hostilities. Some scholars believe that the Tsar’s cannon was made to scare foreign ambassadors.
However, they still shot from the canyon, however, scientists do not know exactly when and on what occasion. The fact of the shooting was discovered by accident, during the repair of the gun in 1980. Then, in Serpukhov, the employees of the Artillery Academy examined him under the name of Dzerzhinsky. It was they who concluded that the Tsar’s Canyon had fired at least once. Historian Lev Gumilyov mentioned that that single shot was fired by the ashes of False Dmitry.
The Tsar’s cannon has several copies. One of them was installed in 2001 in Donetsk, near the town hall building. The Moscow authorities made such an unusual gift to the Ukrainian city. After 6 years, a copy of the capital’s landmarks in Yoshkar-Ola was established
Tsar’s cannon How many times has this giant gun fired?
CAO, from Borovitskaya metro, Okhotny Ryad Metro, Lenin Library Metro, Alexandrovsky Garden Metro, Tver region Address Kremlin Opening year of the 16th century Sculptor Andrey Chokhov The Tsar’s canyon is the largest canyon in the world. He even entered the Guinness Book of Records as the most powerful bombing of the Middle Ages. This is an active weapon, although it is believed that she never shot. The length of the tsar’s barrel is more than 5 meters, the caliber is 890 mm and the weight reaches 40 tons. The Tsar’s cannon was launched in the 16th century by master Andrei Chokhov to intimidate the Tartars. Crimean Khan was then expected to attack Moscow, but the danger was over. At first, the weapon pointed to the walls of Kitay-Gorod, but was then transferred to the Red Square to the Place of Execution. And by decree of Peter I, the weapon entered the courtyard of the Arsenal. Now there is a giant canyon in Ivanovskaya Square. For each movement, a force of at least 200 horses was required, which was linked to special supports on the sides of the weapon. The Tsar’s canyon is named for not only its size, but also records a portrait of Tsar Fedor, son of Ivan IV. The lion in a gun car (standing under the barrel to aim at the target and shoot accurately) emphasizes the high state of the weapon. The car itself was launched only in 1835 at the Byrd factory in St. Petersburg. Many people ask if the Tsar’s cannon fired? Scientists say she still made a test shot to shoot. Therefore, inside the canyon there is a mark of the creator: then the master’s seal was placed only after testing the weapons in practice.
Therefore, we can safely say that the Tsar’s cannon fired. But such massive weapons were aimed at firing at the walls of heavy-core fortresses. But the four cores at the foot of the monument are decorative and hollow inside. Actual grains of this size would weigh no less than one ton each, and a special mechanism would be required to load them. Therefore, small stone cores were used to load the Tsar Canyon. And the real name of the weapon is “Russian shotgun”, or mortar (in military terminology), that is, it must be armed. There is also a version that, by design, the Tsar’s cannon is a bombardment. For guns, guns with a barrel length of 40 caliber and more are included, and the Tsar’s barrel is only 4 caliber long, such as bombers. These weapons hung on the wall were huge to destroy the fortress wall, and they didn’t have a gun car. The trunk was dug into the ground, and 2 trenches were built closer for the calculation of artillery, as the cannons often exploded. The bombing rate was 1 to 6 shots per day. Tsar’s Canyon, photo of 2015 Tsar’s Canyon, photo of 2014 Tsar’s Canyon, photo of 2015 Tsar’s Canyon, photo of 2015 Tsar’s Canyon, photo of 2015 Tsar’s Canyon,
The Tsar’s Canyon monument has several copies. Kremlin: mini-guide on the territory. In the spring of 2001, by order of the Moscow government, the Udmurt Izhstal company produced a copy of the cast iron tsar’s cannon. The new version weighs 42 tons (each wheel weighs 1.5 tons, the diameter of the trunk is 89 cm). Moscow presented a copy to Donetsk, where it was installed in front of the town hall. In 2007, in Yoshkar-Ola, in the Obolensky-Nogotkov square, at the entrance to the National Gallery of Art, a copy of the Tsar’s cannon was thrown at the Butyakovsky shipyard. And in Perm is the world’s largest 20-inch cast iron gun. This is definitely a military weapon. It was made in 1868 by order of the Ministry of the Sea at the Motovilikhinsky pig cannon factory. When testing the Perm Tsar Cannon he made 314 shots with cores and pumps of different systems. A full-size model of the Perm cannon was displayed in front of the Russian pavilion at the Vienna World Exhibition in 1873. He was supposed to go to Kronstadt to protect St. Petersburg from the sea. They have already prepared a carriage, but the giant returned to Perm. By then, engineer-inventor Pavel Obukhov of Zlatoust had developed a technology to produce high strength steel for cannons and opened a plant in St. Petersburg, where lighter tools were cast. So the Tsar Perm’s canyon was technically outdated and became a monument.