Tretyakov Galery

The Tretyakov Gallery is a complex of historical museums in the center of Moscow, which has one of the largest collections of Russian painting in the world.

The permanent exhibition of the gallery is in several buildings. The Tretyakov Gallery preserves, explores and popularizes Russian art: it provides ample access to renowned masterpieces of painting.
Prices in the Tretyakov Gallery 2019
Lavrushinsky Lane (main exhibition + temporary exhibitions): for adults – 500 rubles, preferential – 250 rubles.

Integrated entrance (Main building + Engineering building): for adults – 800 rubles, preferential – 300 rubles;
New Tretyakov Gallery in Krymsky Val (exhibition “Art of the twentieth century” and some temporary exhibitions): for adults – 500 rubles, preferential – 250 rubles.
For children (all visitors under 18 years old) the entrance to the Tretyakov Gallery is free.

the history

The gallery was founded in 1856. It was then that the collector and philanthropist Pavel Mikhailovich Tretyakov first acquired the work of Russian painters: paintings by V. G. Khudyakov and N. G. Shilder.

Citizens for the first time were able to see Tretyakov’s widely expanded collection in 1867: a gallery of the Tretyakov brothers opened in Zamoskvorechye, in which there were more than 1800 exhibits, of which 1276 paintings.

As a gift to the city of Moscow, Pavel Mikhailovich donated his art gallery in 1892. By that time, the collection had expanded to more than 1900 pieces of art.

The gallery is now in the house acquired by the Tretyakov family in 1851. Over time, new buildings were added to the mansion for a constant replacement collection. The beautiful facade of the gallery was created by architect V.N. Bashkirov according to the drawings of the artist V.M. Vasnetsov, and its construction from 1902 to 1904 was directed by A.M. Kalmykov

The complex was named “Tretyakov State Gallery” in 1918. The most important source of resupply of the collection in the early Soviet years was the then created State Museum Fund. In later years, the gallery was completed and received new sites: the house of the merchant Sokolikov, the church of St. Nicholas in Tolmachi. During World War II, the exhibition was evacuated to Novosibirsk and Perm (at that time – Molotov). On May 17, 1945, the Tretyakov Gallery reopened its doors in Moscow. In 1980-1992, the expansion of the exhibition area continued; The Engineering Building was built south of the main building. The art gallery in Krymsky Val became part of the Tretyakov Gallery in 1985.

The main museum exhibition is in two buildings: the historic one in Lavrushinsky Lane and the new one in Krymsky Val.

Main building

More than 1300 works of art are constantly presented in the historic building of the gallery: these are works by Russian painters of the eleventh and twentieth centuries. There are constantly alternative exhibitions of narrow themes in the building: drawings, graphics, paintings from the Tretyakov Gallery and other large museums are exhibited.

Currently, the building of this art gallery houses the “20th century art” collection. Along with the permanent exhibition, temporary exhibitions dedicated to artists and individual tendencies are held, jubilee collections and materials on revolutionary years are exhibited.

Engineering building

The building, located next to the historic gallery, is used as a platform for temporary exhibitions, conferences and film screenings.

Cultural Center in Tolmachi

It is located next to the current church of St. Nicholas in Tolmachi, which is also part of the Tretyakov Gallery complex. In addition to the exhibition space, the cultural center houses a conference room and a creative studio. For visitors, this gallery area is open for events.

V.M. House Museum Vasnetsov

The house “teremok” was built according to the author’s sketches, the exhibition is an original interior and works on fairytale themes.

The landscape painter lived in this apartment from 1903 to 1933. The memorial museum houses conferences, literary and musical nights.

The sculptor Anna Semenovna Golubkina lived in a one-story mansion between 1910 and 1927. In the museum-workshop created in 1934, it was possible to preserve the atmosphere of an artistic studio of the early twentieth century. The exhibition is a workplace, sculptor tools and his works donated by the Golubkin family as a gift to the state.

The memorial museum is located in the workshop, where from 1934 to 1967 the artist, restorer Pavel Dmitrievich Korin, author of the series “Outgoing Rus”, portraitist and creator of mosaic panels for the Moscow Metro lived and worked.

Paintings

The museum complex funds include more than 180,000 works of art from different eras and addresses.

The richest collection of Russian icon painting of the eleventh – seventeenth centuries, which now has the gallery, was formed primarily in the Soviet years.

The permanent exhibition of the art of ancient Russia and the painting of icons can be found in the halls No. 56 – 62. Here you can see the works of the greatest icon painters, especially Theophanes the Greek, Dionysus, Simon Ushakov and Andrei Rublev .

Contemporary art, 20th century

A collection of contemporary art: more than 5000 works: from abstract painting from the postwar years to the most significant works of art of the 2000s.

The main addresses and sections:

Abstraction
Cynicism and optical art,
Mystics and surrealists,
New realism
Pop Art
Minimalism and post-painting abstraction,
Sots Art
Conceptualism is an image in the head,
Poetry and writing,
performance
Comprehension machines
Neo-expressionism,
Conceptualism is a new generation,
Archeology of postmodernism.
The actionism of the 1990s,
Project: art of the 2000s.
Famous artists: Kukryniksy (M.V. Kupriyanov, P.N. Krylov, N.A. Sokolov), I.E. Record, P.P. Konchalovsky, Vl. A. Serov, N.V. Tomsky, S.D. Merkurov and others.

Exhibitions in the Tretyakov Gallery

In the main building and on the sites of the Tretyakov Gallery, along with a permanent exhibition, there are always several interesting temporary exhibitions of various themes, from showing the works of an artist to collections of portraits and historical paintings dedicated to the city or a place significant. In addition, visitors to the exhibitions have the opportunity to see exhibits of the collections of other museums.

Each year, the gallery participates in the international “Museum Night” campaign: it prepares a rich special program with master classes, express excursions and a concert. You can visit the site and branches of the museum on this day until 23:00 or until midnight (the schedule is different, you must specify it in the “Museum Nights” program). A similar tradition has developed in the “Night of the Arts”.

The events of the gallery are not limited to this: every year new interesting projects are launched, festivals and events of local museums are held.

Event Poster

The gallery staff makes tourist visits, talks about individual periods and addresses, and also accompanies school groups. The excursion service is provided by prior reservation, for any group and individually.

Information about excursions on the Tretyakov Gallery website

How to get

Below, details about transport to the main exhibition sites.

Metro to the Tretyakov Gallery

It is more convenient to reach the Tretyakov Gallery on Lavrushinsky Lane by subway, the Tretyakovskaya station, the orange line (Kaluga-Riga) and the yellow line (Kalininskaya). You can also reach the Polyanka metro station (gray line – Serpukhov-Timiryazevskaya), from which 700 meters are on foot.

The new Tretyakov Gallery is located in the territory of the Muzeon complex, located between the Park Kultury metro stations (Sokolnicheskaya and brown Koltsevaya red lines) and Oktyabrskaya (Koltsevaya and Kaluga-Riga orange lines).

Interactive scheme of the Moscow metro (Yandex. Metro)
Buses
The appropriate land transport to the main building (Lavrushinsky Lane) is the M5 bus to the Tretyakovskaya metro stop, the M6 ​​bus and trolleybus number 8 to the Bolshaya Yakimanka stop.

By land transport, to the New Tretyakov Gallery (Krymsky Val) you must arrive at the Gorki Park stop (bus routes – B, t10).

Guardar o Compartir carrito
Tu pedido se guardarĂĄ y se generarĂĄ un link. Puede enviar este link a cualquier contacto o usarlo usted para recordar los productos que ha seleccionado.
Back Guardar o Compartir carrito
Tu pedido se guardarĂĄ y se generarĂĄ un link. Puede enviar este link a cualquier contacto o usarlo usted para recordar los productos que ha seleccionado.
Your cart email sent successfully :)